emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
The nursery is now open to the public between 10am and 4pm. Please follow instructions on site, card payments only, no cash. Click and collect is also available.
THE CAFE & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 14/05/20 10:00.
Genus of about 250 species of annuals, perennials and subshrubs, some of them tuberous or rhizomatous. They occur in usually open and sunny habitats such as prairies, wasteland and roadsides and in open woodland (some species prefer moist sites, others dry).
Almost all are from tropical and temperate regions of North, Central and South America with a few from southern Europe.
The UK representative is the herb vervain, V. officinalis, a perennial of roadsides and waste places especially on chalky soils.
It had many uses in medicine and was used as a charm against witches and devils.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - annuals, perennials and subshrubs
Full sun - protect with winter mulch in frosty areas
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - aphids, leaf hoppers, thrips, slugs
Place of origin - tropical and temperate regions North, Central, South America,southern Europe
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil -
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant -
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video