Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Plant Finder
- Rare Plant List
- April 2019
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- New plants in 2019
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Terms and Conditions
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Canadian maple, Red maple, Scarlet maple, Swamp maple
Widely recognised as one of the most spectacular trees for autumn colour. Best in acid soil
Deciduous - 3- or 5-lobed, oval, dark-green leaves to 10cm (4in) long, blue-white beneath.
Height - 20m (70ft)
Spread - 10m (33ft)
Tree - round-headed to open-crowned tree. Produces erect clusters of tiny red flowers.
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Additional Features - Autumn colour
Pests & Diseases - aphids, mites, scale insects, caterpillars, Verticillium wilt, leaf scorch, honey fungus.
Place of origin - eastern North America
Hardiness - Fully hardy
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - grow in acid soil for best autumn colour
Tree Shape - Rounded to broadly spreading
Acers - Care Guide
Planting to avoid allergic reactions and asthma
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
Shrubs - Care Guide
- How to plant/move a shrub
- How to plant/move a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fertisiling shrubs - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Mulching - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 1) Collecting Seeds
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 2) Storing Seeds
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 3) Planting Seeds
Trees - Care Guide
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of ACER rubrum
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
All-purpose Seaweed Stimulant
All-purpose organic concentrated seaweed feed that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, except acid loving plants. Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™.
Vermin & Pest Control
Essential small tree protection from vermin and strimming. This pack includes 5 x 90cm canes and 5 x 90cm spiral guards. Includes instructions.
Slate Plant Labels
These wonderfully tactile natural slate plant labels are hand made in Cornwall and come with a chalk pen. Just stick them in your pot or border. Pack of 6.
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5