- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Evergreen Sale 25% off
- Seasonal Sale 20% off
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess'
- Camellia 'Yuletide' Save £6.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose'
- Camellia - Save £5.00
- Camellia - Save £12.00
- Free Border Design Service
- Ready Made Borders
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2023
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
EvergreenElliptic-lance-shaped, densely and roughly, silver-hairy leaves to 7cm (2¾in) long.
HeightTo 4m (13ft)
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.Rosette-forming biennial or short-lived perennial. Usually flowers in second or third year sending up a spire of funnel-shaped flowers with large bracts
Half hardy - unheated greenhouse / mild winterHardy in coastal and relatively mild parts of the UK except in severe winters and a risk from sudden (early) frosts. May be hardy elsewhere with wall shelter or good micro-climate. Likely to be damaged or killed in cold winters. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -5°C (23°F)
Full sunShelter from strong winds
ECHIUM pininana 'Blue Steeple'
Seeds may be available, check buying options below.
Additional FeaturesArchitectural interestGood to knowWildlife plant. Attracts butterflies and other insectsPests & DiseasesSlugs on young growthPlace of originGarden origin
Flower ShapeSpikesTo 4m (13ft) long
Garden Location/ConditionsBorderSuitable for the back of a large border
HardinessFrost hardy (down to -5)
Soil ConditionsFertile well drained soilModerately fertile
Toxic - Category CSkin irritant
WildlifeBee friendlyButterfly friendly
- Growing Echium candicans (E. fastuosum)
- Echium pininana - Collecting Seeds - Video Tip ondemand_video
- From seedling to mature plant - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Echium - Self sown seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Overpotting Problems - Video Tip ondemand_video