- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
EvergreenBristly, elliptic-lance-shaped , silver-hairy leaves to 7cm (3in) long
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.Rosette forming biennial or short lived perennial. Each rosette produces a spike of funnel-shaped flowers with large bracts
Half hardy - unheated greenhouse / mild winterHardy in coastal and relatively mild parts of the UK except in severe winters and a risk from sudden (early) frosts. May be hardy elsewhere with wall shelter or good micro-climate. Likely to be damaged or killed in cold winters. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -5°C (23°F)
Partial shadeCan tolerate light shade.
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesArchitectural interestEndangered in the wildThese plants are listed on the International Union for Conservation of Nature's list of 'Red Plants'. This is a list of threatened species in the wild, they are either critically, endangered or vulnerable to extinction.EndangeredGood to knowDramatic, fast-growing, tall spikes from second year. Will self-seed. Attractive to insects.Pests & DiseasesSlugs. Under glass, whiteflies, red spider mitesPlace of originCanary Islands.
Flower ShapeSpikes1.5-4m (5-13ft) long
HardinessFrost hardy (down to -5)
Soil ConditionsFertile well drained soil
Toxic - Category CSkin irritant(People & Pets)
WildlifeBee friendlyButterfly friendly
- Growing Echium candicans (E. fastuosum)
- Echium pininana - Collecting Seeds - Video Tip ondemand_video
- From seedling to mature plant - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Echium - Self sown seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Overpotting Problems - Video Tip ondemand_video
ERYSIMUM 'Bowles Mauve'
FORSYTHIA x intermedia 'Lynwood'
OLEA europaea 'El Greco'
ROSA 'Zephirine Drouhin'
SOLANUM jasminoides 'Album'
Buy Varieties of ECHIUM pininana
biennial producing an eyecatching spire of masses of blue flowers