emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
1 year old plants
All £9.50 each, any 3 for £24.00 or any 5 for £35.00
2 year old plants
All £18.50 each, any 3 for £45.00 or any 5 for £65.00
J = japonica
S = sasanqua
R = reticulata
W = x williamsii
Sp = species
Sizes and varieties available change throughout the year. For up to date availability see website. Please do specify substitutes if and where you can. Some varieties flower in OCT-NOV, others go on from JAN-MAY.
Genus of over 250 species of long-lived, elegant, evergreen shrubs and small trees, 1-20m (3-65ft) tall, from areas of acid soil in woodland areas from northern India and the Himalayas to China and Japan and south to northern Indonesia, Java and Sumatra. They usually have bold, glossy leaves and flowers in shades of white, pink, red or yellow. Some are fragrant.
Economically important in the subcontinent of India and Asia, the leaves of C. sinensis are processed for the beverage tea and C. oleifera produces tea seed oil used for cooking. The UK climate is suitable for camellia and "grow your own" tea is becoming popular, especially the green variety with its high level of antioxidants. C. sinensis var. sinensis is the China tea and C. sinensis var. assamica the Indian version.
Cultivated in the gardens of China and Japan for centuries before they were seen in Europe, varieties were brought in in the late 18th century by the British East India Company as the tea trade flourished.
- Camellia - A guide to sizing and pricing
- Camellia - Care Guide
- Camellia - Hybridisation
- Camellias - Background info Videos.
- Cold weather damage to evergreen plants
- Planting to avoid allergic reactions and asthma
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 1) Collecting Seeds
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 2) Storing Seeds
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 3) Planting Seeds
Evergreen - shrubs or small trees.
Bicolor - white, pink, red or yellow
Partial shade - shelter from cold, dry winds and early morning sun.
Additional Features - Good to know - - genus named by Linnaeus in honour of Georg Josef Kamel, also known as Camellus, a Moravian( Czech) Jesuit priest, and botanist (21 Apr. 1661 - 2 May 1706). Camellia (with a short 'e' as in 'egg') being the proper pronunciation.
Pests & Diseases - aphids, scale insects, vine weevils, leaf spot, honey fungus.
Place of origin - woodland areas from northern India and the Himalayas, China, Japan, northern Indonesia, Java and Sumatra.
Flower Shape - Anemone - Several rows large outer petals with centre intermingled and stamens
Double - Multi rows of petals, no stamen showing
Formal double - Multi rows of petals in a symmetrical shape, no stamen showing
Paeony - Mass mixed irregular petals, with or without stamens
Semi-double - Two rows of petals with conspicuous stamens
Single - Row of petals round conspicuous stamens - no more than 8 petals
Soil Conditions - Acid / ericaceous loving -
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
- Camellia Care - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Soil Conditions
- Planting Tips
- Camellia Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Wind damaged pruning & staking - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pests and Diseases
- Sooty mould in spring - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Collecting Camellia Seeds - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by semi-ripe cuttings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Flowering Periods
- Self Seeding Camellia reticulata - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- Camellia oleifera - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Flowering sasanqua Camellias - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Ancient sasanquas - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video