emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
We are on reduced staff so the phone will not be answered as quickly as usual however full plant information & availability is shown online.
THE NURSERY & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 26/3/20 10:28.
Commonly known as Goosewort, Sneezewort
Genus of about 85 species of mainly deciduous perennials from temperate regions of the northern hemisphere.
Recognised as yarrow or milfoil and named by Linnaeus after Achilles most produce numerous daisy-like flat flowerheads.
New cultivars and hybrids are appearing regularly. They combine well with grasses, make good cut-flowers and the seedheads are decorative in winter light.
Natives are represented by A. millefolium, yarrow and A. ptarmica, sneezeweed.
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Height - 80-100cm (32-39in)
Spread - 60cm (24in)
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - rhizomatous perennial. Linear-lance-shaped finely toothed dark green leaves.Flower heads in loose clusters 2-10cms (¾-4in) across.
Additional Features - Good to know - the natural form was once used to make a kind of snuff. Wildlife plant - bees, hoverflies, butterflies.
Pests & Diseases - aphids possibly, powdery mildew.
Place of origin - Europe, western Asia.
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil
Wildlife - Butterfly friendly
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video