emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
PYRUS salicifolia 'Pendula'
Commonly known as Weeping pear
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Deciduous - lance-shaped to narrowly elliptic, willow-like, grey-felted leaves to 9cm (3½in) long, becoming hairless with age.
White - creamy-white.
Height - 5m (16ft)
Spread - 4m (13ft)
Tree - flowers are followed by pear-shaped green fruit 3cm (1¼in) long
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Additional Features - Good to know - - ultimate size in 20-50 years. Wildlife plant - insects
Pests & Diseases - aphids, caterpillars, leaf midges, mites, fireblight, honey fungus, powdery mildew, canker, brown rot and scab!
Place of origin - southeastern Europe, Turkey, Northern Iran, Caucasus
Flower Shape - Racemes - - of 6-8 flowers 2cm (¾in) across
Garden Location/Conditions - Suitable for small gardens - Suitable for small gardens
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Pruning group - Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Seasonal Interest - Autumn -
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil -
Tree Shape - Weeping / pendulous -
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video