emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
RHODODENDRON 'Lady Alice Fitzwilliam'
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Evergreen - medium-sized leaves 5-15cm (2-6in) long.
Striped, Veined or Multicoloured
White - pink in bud opening white
Height - 2m (6½ft)
Spread - 2m (6½ft)
Medium shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height - open shrub. produces trusses of 2 or 3 funnel-shaped flowers 10cm (4in) long.
Half hardy - unheated greenhouse / mild winter - Hardy in coastal and relatively mild parts of the UK except in severe winters and a risk from sudden (early) frosts. May be hardy elsewhere with wall shelter or good micro-climate. Likely to be damaged or killed in cold winters. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -5°C (23°F)
Full sun - shelter from strong winds
Additional Features - Burncoose speciality - See Burncoose Speciality group for more details
Pests & Diseases - vine weevils, scale insects, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bud blast.
Place of origin - garden origin. UK. 1881.Fisher, Son and Sibray Nurseries, Handsworth, Sheffield
Burncoose Specialities - Rhododendrons -
Garden Location/Conditions - Greenhouse / conservatory - Not the sort of plants to be grown outside where there are likely to be frosts. These plants need to be grown in a conservatory or cool greenhouse or at least brought inside for the winter
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Scented Plants - Scented flowers -
Seasonal Interest - Spring -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - humus-rich.
Neutral to acid soil - ideally pH4.5 - 5.5
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant -
- Dead Heading
- Dead Heading - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Killing
- Pests and Diseases
- Honey Fungus - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- Rhododendron genestrianum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scented Rhododendrons - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Planting out rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Five late flowering rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron decorum (pink form) - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron ‘Pink Polar Bear’ - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from seed
- Rhododendron Seed Collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from cuttings
- Propagation by layering short - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by layering long - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by other means
- Making a hybrid - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Making a hairy or scaly cross - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Caerhays bred 'Red Centurian'
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video