- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.Clump forming perennial. Densely grey-woolly stems and spiny, hairy, grey-green leaves to 25cm (10in) long. Produces spherical flowerheads 2.5-5cm (1-2in ) across.
Hardy - cold winterHardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesGood to knowWildlife plant - bees, butterflies, birds.Pests & DiseasesAphidsPlace of originSouthern Europe
Soil ConditionsWell drained, dry, poor to moderately fertile soil- but tolerant of almost any soil.
WildlifeBee friendlyBird friendlyButterfly friendlyRabbit Resistant
- Growing Echinops bannaticus – Globe Thistle
- Supporting plants with link-stakes
- Drying Echinops for winter display - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
AGAPANTHUS africanus blue
ECHINOPS bannaticus 'Taplow Blue'
ECHINOPS bannaticus 'Veitch's Blue'
ERYNGIUM giganteum 'Miss Willmott's Ghost'
HELENIUM autumnale 'Sombrero'
PEROVSKIA atriplicifolia 'Blue Spire'
PHLOX paniculata 'Border Gem'
PHLOX paniculata 'Bright Eyes'
SEDUM spectabile 'Autumn Joy'
Buy Varieties of ECHINOPS bannaticus
clear blue thistle flowers
blue thistle-like flowers, with silver foliage