Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Violet-purple. Tall growing
Seeds may be available, check buying options below.
- Attract Bees: Bee loving herbaceous perennials
- Attract Butterflies: Butterfly loving herbaceous perennials
- Design your own garden: The cottage garden
- Purple and Blue Combo's: Combo 062
- Purple and Yellow Combo's: Combo 142
- With White: Combo 135
- With White: Combo 136
- With White: Combo 137
- Plants beginning with 'V'
- Search Caerhays Garden Diary for more info & pictures
Purple - Shades of purple/mauve/lilac/violet - violet purple
Height - to 2m (6½ft)
Spread - 45cm (18in)
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - stiff, upright, open, clump-forming perennial with rough, branching stems bearing a few oblong-lance-shaped, wrinkled leaves to 13cm (5in) long with toothed margins. Produces flowers 6mm (¼in) across in flat heads to 5cm (2in) across from midsummer to autumn.
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Full sun - protect with winter mulch in frosty areas
Additional Features - Good to know - wildlife plant. Superb for butterflies. Short-lived but self-seeds to give strong plants.
Pests & Diseases - aphids, leaf hoppers, thrips, slugs
Place of origin - South America (Brazil to Argentina)
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Seasonal Interest - Autumn
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil
Wildlife - Bee friendly
Herbaceous Plants - Video Collection
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
to 2m (6½ft)
Available from £11.00
AGAPANTHUS 'Navy Blue'
African blue lily, Lily-of-the-Nile, Love flower
Available from £13.50
ECHINACEA purpurea 'White Swan'
Available from £12.00
Available from £11.50
SALVIA sylvestris 'Mainacht'
Available from £11.50
Harrod Horticulture Plant Supports - Plant & Border Supports
Tall circular wire plant support
The Harrod tall circular plant supports add sculptural structure to any border, ideal for plants such as dahlias, delphinium, lupin, penstemon, shrub roses, hollyhocks, poppies and foxgloves.
6 options from £36.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00