- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
RHODODENDRON 'May Day'
RHODODENDRON 'May Day'
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Large leaves 15-45cm (6-18in) long.
Medium shrub Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
Low growing, spreading habit. Produces loose trusses of slightly pendent, funnel-shaped flowers 7cm (3½in) long
Half hardy - unheated greenhouse / mild winter Hardy in coastal and relatively mild parts of the UK except in severe winters and a risk from sudden (early) frosts. May be hardy elsewhere with wall shelter or good micro-climate. Likely to be damaged or killed in cold winters. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -5°C (23°F)
Shelter from strong winds
Maintains colour better in light shade.
Burncoose speciality See Burncoose Speciality group for more details
Good to know
R. griersonianum x R. haematodes. Shallow planting is essential
Pests & Diseases
vine weevils, scale insects, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bud blast.
Place of origin
garden origin. UK. 1932. AM Williams, Werrington, Cornwall
Caerhays bred plants
Frost hardy (down to -5)
Entire see photos above
Oblanceolate see photos above
Pruning group 5
Suitable for: Evergreen shrubs that require minimal pruning.
Action: Trim or lightly cut back shoots that spoil symmetry. Deadhead regularly.
When: Annually after flowering.
RHS group 8
Acid / ericaceous loving - ideally pH 4.5-6.0
Fertile moist well-drained soil
Neutral to acid soil
- Dead Heading
- Dead Heading - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Killing
- Pests and Diseases
- Honey Fungus - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintenance - fallen tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- General Pictures
- Further Reading
- Planting out rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from seed
- Rhododendron Seed Collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Potting on Rhododendron seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by taking semi-ripe cuttings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from cuttings
- Propagation by layering - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by other means
- Making a hybrid - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Making a hairy or scaly cross - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Caerhays bred 'Red Centurian'
- R. augustinii, edgeworthii x leucaspis, 'Anne Teese', loderi 'King George' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron cilpinense - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron decorum (pink form) - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron genestrianum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Five late flowering rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- R. niveum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron ‘Pink Polar Bear’ - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scented Rhododendrons - Video Tip ondemand_video
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Lithocarpus Seed Collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Camellia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Storing seeds over winter
- Embothrium Collecting and Storing Seeds
- Decaisnea Seed Collection & Potting