- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Scented Rhododendrons suitable for conservatory or cool greenhouse are marked with an asterisk.
Genus of more than 1000 species of evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs from Europe, Asia, Australasia and North America, particularly southwestern China, Tibet, Burma, northern India and New Guinea.
Evergreen rhododendrons vary greatly in size and usually have bell-shaped flowers with 10 stamens.
Azaleas have smaller, thinner leaves and are generally medium-sized shrubs with smaller, funnel-shaped flowers with, usually, 5 stamens.
The problem rhododendron, vigorous hybrids of R. ponticum, which is colonizing large areas has been given the name R x superponticum and is subject to EU legislation under the "Invasive Alien Species Regulation".
Dwarf shrub Typically only grows to a maximum of one or two feet in height but there will be some exceptions.
Shelter from strong winds
Pests & Diseases - vine weevils, whiteflies, scale insects, caterpillars, aphids, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bud blast.
Place of origin
garden origin. UK. Williams, Caerhays Estate, Cornwall
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil
ideally pH4.5 - 5.5
- Dead Heading
- Dead Heading - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Killing
- Pests and Diseases
- Honey Fungus - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintenance - fallen tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- General Pictures
- Further Reading
- Planting out rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from seed
- Rhododendron Seed Collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Potting on Rhododendron seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by taking semi-ripe cuttings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from cuttings
- Propagation by layering - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by other means
- Making a hybrid - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Making a hairy or scaly cross - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Caerhays bred 'Red Centurian'
- R. augustinii, edgeworthii x leucaspis, 'Anne Teese', loderi 'King George' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron cilpinense - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron decorum (pink form) - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron genestrianum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Five late flowering rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- R. niveum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron ‘Pink Polar Bear’ - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scented Rhododendrons - Video Tip ondemand_video
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Lithocarpus Seed Collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Camellia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Storing seeds over winter
- Embothrium Collecting and Storing Seeds
- Decaisnea Seed Collection & Potting
AZALEA - EVERGREEN 'Greenway'
MAGNOLIA sargentiana var robusta
RHODODENDRON loderi 'King George'
RHODODENDRON 'May Day'
RHODODENDRON 'Saffron Queen'
Buy Varieties of RHODODENDRON
Striking blue flowers. A must for any woodland garden
Very attractive rich red furry indumentum on the undersides of the leaves is the key feature of this unusual and rare species. Flowers rose
Semi-dwarf rhododendron. Greenish-yellow flowers
Dwarf evergreen with dense, brown scales beneath leaves. Rose-purple flowers
Dwarf shrub with funnel shaped purple flowers
Late scented white
White flowers tinged pink with a rich scent. Bullate leaves with fawn indumentum
Large leafed species with creamy-yellow flowers late in the season
Semi-dwarf rhododendron. (syn. Gibsonii) - white striped pink,lightly scented
Late flowering with large trusses of fragrant white or pinkish flowers
Grey-green leaves and lavender or rose coloured flowers
A straggly upright habit but one of the most beautiful and scented rhododendrons when in flower. Pure white in trusses of 3 or 5 flowers
Free-flowering canary-yellow with bronze foliage, hardy and vigorous
Leaves up to a foot long and huge trusses of bell-shaped pale yellow flowers with purple blotches
Hairy young shoots on this azalea-like species and brick red flowers
The largest leafed rhododendron of all with huge trusses of yellow fading to creamy-white flower with a crimson blush
Large pale salmon-pink flowers with darker throat. Late flowering.
Huge trusses of trumpet-shaped white flowers, highly scented
Very large bright deep pink
Apricot flowers with ruffled edges.
Purple flowers each with a dark red blotch
Rich crimson-red flowers in large trusses
Semi-dwarf rhododendron. Deep blue
Violet flowers paling to white at the throat with maroon spots
Dwarf rhododendron. Clear blue
Very early cerise pink
Pink in bud fading to white.
Dwarf rhododendron. Early pink
The tallest growing of all the cornish woodland rhododendrons. Can reach 60-80 feet in maturity with large trusses of reddish-purple flowers
Scented white flowers flushed pale pink