emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as African blue lily, Lily-of-the-Nile, Love flower
Genus of 6 species of vigorous perennials from southern Africa. Evergreen species are from coastal areas, deciduous ones from more moist mountain grassland in inland regions.
Most hybrids are deciduous or semi-evergreen and are hardier than the species. The flowerheads form 3 groups, generally, upward-looking round umbels, pendent umbels and an intermediate form.
They make long-lasting cut flowers and seed heads are decorative. They make attractive plants for large containers.
Evergreen - mostly.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - clump-forming perennials. Trumpet-shaped flowers above mounds of strap-like leaves.
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Full sun - winter mulch in cold areas against frost damage.
Additional Features - Good to know - - evergreen varieties are from coastal areas, deciduous from moister, inland regions.
Pests & Diseases - slugs, snails, viruses.
Place of origin - southern Africa.
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - loam based compost for containers.
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant -
- Planting location
- Planting and treatment
- Splitting / dividing pot grown plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Splitting / dividing plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video