emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
The nursery is now open to the public between 10am and 4pm. Please follow instructions on site, card payments only, no cash. Click and collect is also available.
THE CAFE & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 14/05/20 10:00.
Commonly known as Tulip tree
STATELY appearance and curiously square-shaped leaves are the attractions of this tree.
Genus of 2 species of deciduous trees from woodland in China, Vietnam and North America. They make excellent specimen trees and leaves colour well in autumn. More mature specimens produce cup-shaped flowers, inconspicuous in the crown. The American species, tulipifera is very fast-growing and one the largest trees in the eastern American woodland. The trees produce copious amounts of nectar which attract bees.
Additional Features - Good to know - - fast-growing, long-lived tree in the Magnolia family. Curious, cup-shaped flowers are produced usually after about 15 years
Pests & Diseases - leaf spot, and verticillium wilt.
Place of origin - China, Vietnam, North America.
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - - preferably slightly acid.
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video