emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
The nursery is now open to the public between 10am and 4pm. Please follow instructions on site, card payments only, no cash. Click and collect is also available.
THE CAFE & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 14/05/20 10:00.
Commonly known as Fringe tree
Fringe trees, Chinese (C. retusus) and American (C. virginicus). The Chinese is lime-tolerant, the American requires acid soil.
Genus of about 60 or more species of evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs mainly from tropical regions including eastern Asia, Korea, Japan, and eastern USA. They are found in a variety of habitats incuding woodland and scrub, streambanks and rocky outcrops.
Tall Shrub - grown for terminal panicles of flowers with 4 slender, white petals.and blue-black fruits. Some plants have only male or only female flowers and may not fruit.
Additional Features - Medicinal properties - - used for disorders of the liver and gall bladder and, historically, topically for inflammations of the eye and mouth ulcers.
Pests & Diseases - none
Place of origin - eastern Asia, Korea, Japan,eastern USA.
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil -
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video