- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers May 2017
- Chelsea 2017 Pollinators Sale
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Sorry, but the plant you were looking for isn't available this year. Please try these alternatives.
Commonly known as: Box berry, Mountain tea, Salal, Shallon.
Information - click to hide
- Good to know - good for game cover and shelter for wildlife.
- Pests & Diseases - none
- Place of Origin - western North America.
- Height - 1.2cm (4ft)
- Spread - 1.5m (5ft)
- Evergreen - red shoots and broadly oval, sharp-pointed, bristly toothed, glossy, dark-green leaves to 10cm (4in) long.
- Fruit - Plants which produce an edible or ornamental fruit - edible fruits known as Salal in the Pacific Northwest, not as tasty as blueberries, but edible nonetheless
- Medium Shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height - compact, bushy shrub spreading vigorously by suckers. Flowers in arching racemes to 10cm (4in) long of broadly urn-shaped flowers.
- Partial Shade
- Neutral to acid soil - peaty and moist
- Harmful if eaten - These will give you an upset tummy, so please don't eat any of these. - berries, however, are edible.
- Flower Colour - White - tinged pink.