- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Semi-evergreenKeeps some of its foliage all year, and will drop some leaves as well.glossy, dark green leaves to 5cm (2in) long, bronze when young.
Shades of pinkAll shades of pink through to Carmine (red)Lilac pink
Medium shrubTypically grow to around 4-6 feet in heightProduces flowers singly or in small, axillary cymes
Hardy - cold winterHardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Full sunShelter from cold drying winds.
ABELIA 'Edward Goucher'
Additional FeaturesGood to knowHybrid between A.x grandiflora and A. schumanii. Wildlife plant - insectsPests & DiseasesNonePlace of originGarden origin. USA. 1911. Edward Goucher, US Dept. of Agriculture.Resistant to honey fungusThese plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Flower ShapeTrumpet2cm (¾in) long with 2-lobed sepals
(see photos above)
(see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 5Suitable for: Evergreen shrubs that require minimal pruning.
Action: Trim or lightly cut back shoots that spoil symmetry. Deadhead regularly.
When: Annually after flowering.
RHS group 8
Scented PlantsScented flowers
Soil ConditionsFertile well drained soil
- How to plant/move a shrub
- How to plant/move a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fertisiling shrubs - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Mulching - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Taking semi-ripe cuttings -Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-sown seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Trimming a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video