emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Locust tree
Ggenus of about 14 species of of deciduous trees from woodland in Asia, North and South America and tropical Africa.
They are usually spiny, though thornless garden cultivars have been produced, and grown as specimens for their showy, pinnate leaves and large seed pods.
Deciduous - pinnate, fern-like leaves.
Tree - trunk and branches usually carry simple or branched spines.
Full sun - protect from winds if possible.
Additional Features - Good to know - grown as specimen trees for their attractive foliage.
Pests & Diseases - gall midges on foliage - G. triacanthos 'Sunburst' quite prone
Place of origin - Asia, North and South America, tropical Africa.
Resistant to honey fungus - These plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video