emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
The nursery is now open to the public between 10am and 4pm. Please follow instructions on site, card payments only, no cash. Click and collect is also available.
THE CAFE & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 14/05/20 10:00.
Commonly known as Sowbread
Genus of 24 species of tuberous perennials found in habitats ranging from alpine woodland and damp woods to dry sands and maquis from the Mediterranean east to Iran and south to Somalia.
Flowers can be produced at almost any time of year depending on the species. The most commonly available are C. coum which is winter flowering and C. hederifolium which blooms in summer and autumn.
Alpine or rock plant - These plants prefer well drained soil and are generally dwarf in habit.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Tuberous - tuberous perennials. Rounded to heart-shaped leaves sometimes toothed or lobed. Leaves can be silver-zoned or have light and dark patches on the upper surface. Purplish-red beneath
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - mice and squirrels. Vine weevil, cyclamen mite, grey mould.
Place of origin - Mediterranean, Iran, Somalia
Garden Location/Conditions - Rockery (inc alpine) -
Scented Plants - Scented flowers - - some fragrant.
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil - - moderately fertile. Humus-rich. Mulch annually with leaf mould.
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant -
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video