- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as American cowslip, Shooting star
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Shades of pink All shades of pink through to Carmine (red)
Herbaceous Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Variable, clump-forming perennial. Ovate, toothed, pale to mid green leaves to 25cm (10in) long. Produces umbels of up to 15 cyclamen-like flowers 1.5-2cm (½-¾in) long on strong stems.
Hardy - cold winter Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Good to know - becomes dormant in summer after flowering. Good for a woodland or rock garden.
Pests & Diseases
Place of origin
eastern North America.
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich. Requires moist soil during growing period.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video