emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
The nursery is now open to the public between 10am and 4pm. Please follow instructions on site, card payments only, no cash. Click and collect is also available.
THE CAFE & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 14/05/20 10:00.
Unusual in that flowers form in autumn and the fruit ripens from spring to summer if conditions are warm enough - rarely in the UK, yet.
Genus of about 30 species of evergreen shrubs and trees from woodland in the Himalayas and eastern Asia.
Originally from China, the loquat is so easily grown in sub-tropical and mild-temperate climates that it has become naturalised widely.
Over 800 cultivars exist in Asia. Spain is the European producer.
An Italian liqueur, nespolino, reminiscent of amaretto, is made from the seeds, the cyanogenic glycosides providing flavour without the risk of harm.
Tree - or shrubs
Full sun - sheltered position.
Additional Features - Good to know - - can be grown against a sunny wall in warmer areas. E. japonica is the commercial loquat.
Pests & Diseases - under glass mealybugs and leaf blight.
Place of origin - Himalayas, Asia
Resistant to honey fungus - These plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil -
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video