emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Foxglove tree
Deciduous - bright-green, sometimes shallowly lobed, leaves to 30cm (12in), hairy above and beneath.
Blue - violet blue
Height - 12m (39ft)
Spread - 10m (30ft)
Tree - fast-growing tree with stout shoots. Produces flowers from buds formed the previous autumn.
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - canker, honey fungus, leaf spot, powdery mildew.
Place of origin - China
Flower Shape - Panicles - - upright panicles
Trumpet - 5cm (2in) long
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Leaf margin - Entire - see photos above
Leaf shape - Ovate - see photos above
Pruning group - Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Pruning group 4 - Suitable for: Deciduous trees and shrubs that flower on current year's growth or are grown for winter stem effect.
Pruning: Hard prune to a low permanent framework.
When: Annually in early Spring.
RHS group 5, 6 & 7 - if larger leaves are required
Scented Plants - Scented flowers -
Seasonal Interest - Summer -
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil - - shelter from cold winds.
Tree Shape - Rounded to broadly columnar -
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video