- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Mourning bride, Pincushion flower, Scabious
Nectar-rich flowers for wildlife from a plant whose name derives from its folk-medicine use to treat scabies. In the honeysuckle family.
Represented in the UK by the native S. columbaria, small scabious, found on dry, chalky pasture in England.
Genus of about 80 species of annuals, biennials and perennials from sunny sites, dry meadows and rocky slopes mostly in the Mediterranean region.
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.Annuals, biennials and perennials
Full sunDo not over water
Additional FeaturesGood to knowWildlife plant - bees and butterflies. Deadhead to prolong flowering.Pests & DiseasesNonePlace of originMediterranean, Europe, Caucasus, Africa, Asia, Japan
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilNeutral to alkaline soil
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of SCABIOSA
lavender-blue flower heads
flowering spikes of maroon flowers up to 2.5 feet
pale yellow or creamy double flowers
deep pink flower heads paler in the centre