- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Plant Finder
- Rare Plant List
- April 2019
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- New plants in 2019
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Terms and Conditions
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Mourning bride, Pincushion flower, Scabious
Nectar-rich flowers for wildlife from a plant whose name derives from its folk-medicine use to treat scabies. In the honeysuckle family.
Represented in the UK by the native S. columbaria, small scabious, found on dry, chalky pasture in England.
Genus of about 80 species of annuals, biennials and perennials from sunny sites, dry meadows and rocky slopes mostly in the Mediterranean region.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - annuals, biennials and perennials
Full sun - do not over water
Additional Features - Good to know - wildlife plant - bees and butterflies. Deadhead to prolong flowering.
Pests & Diseases - none
Place of origin - Mediterranean, Europe, Caucasus, Africa, Asia, Japan
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil
Neutral to alkaline soil
Wildlife - Butterfly friendly
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video