emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
EUCALYPTUS pauciflora subsp. niphophila
Commonly known as Ironbark, Snow gum
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Evergreen - narrowly lance-shaped leaves to 16cm (6in) long.
Height - 6m (20ft)
Spread - 5m (16ft)
Tree - dense, spreading tree. Twigs are covered with a white, waxy bloom. Flowers in umbels of 3-7.
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Full sun - shelter from cold drying winds.
Additional Features - Good to know - - ultimate size in 20-50 years
Pests & Diseases - silver leaf, oedema
Place of origin - S.Australia (New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania)
Garden Location/Conditions - Suitable for small gardens - Suitable for small gardens
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Leaf margin - Entire - see photos above
Leaf shape - Lanceolate - see photos above
Pruning group - Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Pruning group 4 - Suitable for: Deciduous trees and shrubs that flower on current year's growth or are grown for winter stem effect.
Pruning: Hard prune to a low permanent framework.
When: Annually in early Spring.
RHS group 5, 6 & 7 - for foliage display
Scented Plants - Scented foliage -
Seasonal Interest - Autumn -
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil -
Neutral to acid soil
Tree Shape - Rounded to broadly spreading -
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant -
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video