emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as African blue lily, Lily-of-the-Nile, Love flower
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Semi-evergreen - Keeps some of its foliage all year, and will drop some leaves as well. - strap-like, mid green leaves
Height - 45cm (18in)
Spread - 45cm (18in)
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - compact, clump-forming perennial
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F) - mulch for winter in cold areas. Bring pots into shelter.
Additional Features - Good to know - - excellent as a container subject
Pests & Diseases - slugs, snails, viruses.
Place of origin - South Africa (Northern Cape, Western Cape, Eastern Cape).
Flower Shape - Trumpet -
Garden Location/Conditions - Patio / pot plants -
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Seasonal Interest - Autumn -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - loam based compost (JI No. 3) for containers.
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant -
- Planting location
- Planting and treatment
- Splitting / dividing pot grown plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Splitting / dividing plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video