emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
LIATRIS scariosa 'Alba'
Commonly known as Blazing star, Gayfeather, Praire button
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Height - 0.6 - 1.2m (2-4ft)
Spread - 45cm (18in)
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - perennial. Densely-clustered, lance-shaped, rough basal leaves to 25cm (10in) long. Flower spike to 45cm (18in) long.
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Additional Features - Good to know - - attractive to insects.
Pests & Diseases - slugs, snails and mice - they like the roots!
Place of origin - northeastern and southeastern USA.
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Seasonal Interest - Autumn -
Soil Conditions - Medium to light, fertile, well drained soil - - with moisture - liable to rotting in heavy soils in very wet winters.
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
0.6 - 1.2m (2-4ft)