emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
The nursery is now open to the public between 10am and 4pm. Please follow instructions on site, card payments only, no cash. Click and collect is also available.
THE CAFE & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 14/05/20 10:00.
Commonly known as Virgin's bower
Showy, sometimes possibly too showy, long-flowering climbers with variety of shape and colour for all the year.
Genus of more than 200 species of deciduous, twining leaf-climbers, scandent shrubs, subshrubs and sometimes woody-based herbaceous perennials from Europe, the Himalayas, China, Australasia, North America and Central America.
More than 400 cultivars are in cultivation. Native perennial Traveller's joy or Old man's beard (C. vitalba) is a plant of hedgerows and wood edges. The climbing stems can reach to 30m.
Climber - Some of these climbing plants will need trellis or wire supports if grown on walls or fences. Other grow aerial roots and are self-clinging - attach to supports by means of leaf stalks.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - perennials.
Full sun - provide shade for roots and base of plant. Herbaceous varieties require full sun.
Additional Features - Good to know - - C. viticella and the small-flowering varieties are resistant to clematis wilt.
Pests & Diseases - cutworms, aphids attack young plants, whiteflies under glass. Clematis wilt.
Place of origin - northern and southern hemispheres including Europe, Himalayas, China, Australasia, North and Central America.
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil - - humus-rich. Mulch in late winter.
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant -
- Pruning Group 1 - Flowering mid / late spring
- Pruning Group 2 - Flowering late spring / early summer
- Pruning Group 3 - Flowering late summer / early autumn
- Training Climbers - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video