Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Goat willow, Palm willow, Pussy willow
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Deciduous - oval leaves to 10cm (4in) long with wavy margins and a short point, dark grey-green above, pale grey with silky hairs on the underside.
Height - 10m (33ft)
Spread - 3-6m (10-20ft)
Tree - shrubby, short-trunked tree with smooth, greenish-brown bark, fissured when old. Male and female catkins grow on separate trees. The slender, light green females are produced first followed by the silky grey, budlike males with showy, golden anthers.
Very hardy - Hardy in the severest continental climates including exposed upland locations in the UK. Plant can withstand temperatures < -20 (-4°F)
Additional Features - Good to know - - UK native. Important plant second to oak as a species for wildlife - insects, bats. Possibly the tree of WB Yeats 'Salley Gardens'. Usually remains shrubby to about 5m (16ft)
Pests & Diseases - aphids, caterpillars, leaf beetles, sawflies, willow scale, anthracnose, honey fungus, rust.
Place of origin - Europe, western and central Asia.
Garden Location/Conditions - Coastal / windswept -
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Seasonal Interest - Spring -
Soil Conditions - Tolerates all - - except chalk. Tolerates drier soil than most willows
Wet or boggy soil
Tree Shape - Rounded to broadly spreading -
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video