- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Virgin's bower
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Late flowering. Bears flowers on current year's growth.
Pearly white, mauve beneath
Climber Some of these climbing plants will need trellis or wire supports if grown on walls or fences. Other grow aerial roots and are self-clinging
Vigorous, late, small-flowered climber
Hardy - very cold winter Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Provide shade for roots and base of plant.
Good to know - prune back previous season's stems to a pair of strong buds about 15-20cm (6-8in) above soil level before growth starts in early spring.
Pests & Diseases
cutworms, aphids on young plants, clematis wilt.
Place of origin
garden origin (France)
Cup-shaped - 6cm (2½in) across with 6 sepals and short, creamy anthers
Entire see photos above
Lanceolate see photos above
Fertile well drained soil - humus-rich. Mulch in late winter.
- Pruning Group 1 - Flowering mid / late spring
- Pruning Group 2 - Flowering late spring / early summer
- Pruning Group 3 - Flowering late summer / early autumn
- Training Climbers - Video Tip ondemand_video