- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Deciduous5- to 7-palmate, mid-green leaves with oblong to lance-shaped leaflets to 13cm (5in) or more, long.
RedRed, sometimes yellow-marked.
Tall ShrubOr small tree. Flowers are followed by smooth-skinned fruit.
Hardy - cold winterHardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Additional FeaturesPests & DiseasesScale insects, canker, coral spot, leaf blotch.Place of originEastern USA.
Flower ShapePaniclesConical panicles to 15cm (6in) tall
(see photos above)
(see photos above)Obovate (see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 1Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soil
Toxic - Category CHarmful if eaten(People & Pets)
Tree ShapeBroadly conical
- Growing Aesculus
- Four horse chestnuts from Caerhays - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Aesculus wilsonii - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant/move a shrub
- How to plant/move a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fertisiling shrubs - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Mulching - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Taking semi-ripe cuttings -Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-sown seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Trimming a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of AESCULUS pavia
new leaves tinted bronze. Upright panicles of pink-red flowers