- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Sweet gum
THE autumn leaf-colour tree. The Sweet gum of the USA and Mexico with its maple-like (but tougher) leaves, breathtaking oranges, reds and purples and its gumball fruits, small, woody clusters that hang from branches in winter like those of London planes but spikier.
Genus of 4 species of deciduous trees from moist woodland in eastern and southwestern Asia, North America and Mexico. The timber is used for furniture and veneers. The hardened resin from L. styraciflua can be chewed as gum.
Deciduouspalmately 3- to 7- lobed leaves.
TreeUpright, open habit. Inconspicuous yellow-green flowers. Female ones are followed by spiky, spherical fruit clusters.
Full sunFor best autumn colour.
Additional FeaturesGood to knowGrown for their maple-like leaves which colour well in autumn and upright, open habit. A splendid specimen tree in a lawn.Pests & DiseasesNonePlace of originEastern and southwestern Asia, North America, Mexico.
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilNeutral to acid soil
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of LIQUIDAMBAR
large three lobed leaves are bronze-purple at first fading to dark green. A hardy Chinese species which holds its leaves well into winter
broadly conical tree. 3-lobed leaves with autumn colour
shrubby tree. 5-lobed leaves turning yellow and orange in autumn
maple foliage with excellent autumn colouring, liquid-amber describes it perfectly
new leaves emerge pale yellow in spring, changing to green in summer and turning red in autumn. Golden-yellow stems
fastigiate habit with spectacular autumn colour in hues of orange through red to purple
long narrow lobes to the leaves which turn yellow and orange in the autumn. Occasionally produces fruit which other varieties do not in the UK