emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
HOSTA 'Purple Heart'
Commonly known as Funkia, Plantain lily
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Purple - Shades of purple/mauve/lilac/violet - pale purple
Height - 60cm (24in)
Spread - 60cm (24in)
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - clump-forming perennial.
Very hardy - Hardy in the severest continental climates including exposed upland locations in the UK. Plant can withstand temperatures < -20 (-4°F)
Full sun - will tolerate full sun if soil is kept moist. Flower colour is darker in sun. Shelter from cold dry winds.
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - a great delicacy for slugs and snails! Vine weevil in pot grown plants. Possibly virus infections
Place of origin - garden origin
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Seasonal Interest - Summer -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - will not tolerate drought. Mulch annually in spring to keep in moisture.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video