- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Deciduouswavy-margined leaves to 10cm (4in) long.
TreeWide-spreading. Silvery fruits turn red in autumn.
Hardy - cold winterHardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Additional FeaturesMedicinal propertiesThe 1cm (½in) long fruit is edible when ripe and contains 7-17 times the amount of the antioxidant lycopene than tomatoes.Pests & DiseasesCoral spot.Place of originHimalayas, China, Japan.
Garden Location/ConditionsCoastal / windsweptSuitable for small gardens
(see photos above)
(see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 1Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1Pruning group 2Suitable for: Deciduous shrubs and trees that flower in Spring or early Summer on previous year's growth, including plants that produce new growth at or near ground level.
Pruning: Prune flowered shoots to strong buds. Cut back approximately 1/4 of old shoots to the base to promote replacement growth.
When: Annually, after flowering.
RHS groups 2 & 3
Scented PlantsScented flowers
Soil ConditionsFertile well drained soilCan become chlorotic on shallow chalky soil.
Tree ShapeRounded to broadly spreading
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video