- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Bristly locust, Rose acacia
dark-green leaves to 30cm (12in) long composed of 9-13 oval to broadly elliptic leaflets.
Shades of pink All shades of pink through to Carmine (red)
Upright, suckering shrub with bristly shoots. Produces flowers 3cm ( 1¼in ) long in pendent racemes to 12cm (5in) long, followed by bristly brown seed pods 4-6cm (1½-2½in) long.
Hardy - very cold winter Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Harmful if eaten These will give you an upset tummy, so please don't eat any of these.
Good to know - can be difficult to get established
Pests & Diseases
Place of origin
Pinnate see photos above
Entire see photos above
Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Fertile moist well-drained soil - will tolerate poorer dry soils but important to shelter from cold winds - branches brittle