emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
CAMELLIA 'Winter's Toughie'
- Camellia - Care Guide
- Camellia - Hybridisation
- Camellias - Background info Videos.
- Cold weather damage to evergreen plants
- Planting to avoid allergic reactions and asthma
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 1) Collecting Seeds
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 2) Storing Seeds
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 3) Planting Seeds
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Evergreen - thick, leathery, glossy, dark-green leaves.
Height - 2m (6½ft)
Spread - 2m (6½ft)
Tall Shrub - spreading habit, moderate growth
Half hardy - unheated greenhouse / mild winter - Hardy in coastal and relatively mild parts of the UK except in severe winters and a risk from sudden (early) frosts. May be hardy elsewhere with wall shelter or good micro-climate. Likely to be damaged or killed in cold winters. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -5°C (23°F)
Additional Features - Good to know - - C. oleifera 'Plain Jane' x C. sasanqua 'Jean May'
Pests & Diseases - aphids, scale insects, vine weevils, leaf spot.
Place of origin - garden origin. USA. William Ackerman, Maryland.
Flower Shape - Semi-double - Two rows of petals with conspicuous stamens - 6-8cm (2½-3in) across. Fluted petals and golden stamens
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Scented Plants - Scented flowers -
Soil Conditions - Neutral to acid soil -
- Camellia Care - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Soil Conditions
- Planting Tips
- Camellia Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Wind damaged pruning & staking - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pests and Diseases
- Sooty mould in spring - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Collecting Camellia Seeds - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by semi-ripe cuttings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Flowering Periods
- Self Seeding Camellia reticulata - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- Camellia oleifera - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Flowering sasanqua Camellias - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video