emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
The nursery is now open to the public between 10am and 4pm. Please follow instructions on site, card payments only, no cash. Click and collect is also available.
THE CAFE & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 14/05/20 10:00.
Commonly known as Japanese maple
SPECIMEN SIZED VARIETIES OF ACER PALMATUM ARE IN 7.5 OR 10 LITRE POTS AND ARE ALL APPROXIMATELY 4-6 FEET IN HEIGHT.
SPECIMEN SIZED VARIETIES OF ACER PALMATUM DISSECTUM ARE SMALLER GROWING AND THEREFORE CONSIDERABLY SMALLER IN SIZE ALTHOUGH OF A SIMILAR AGE.
Genus of 120 species of evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs, from woodlands mainly, in Europe, northern Africa, Asia and North and Central America.
Some form large trees and others are understorey plants. The most popular decorative forms are from the palmatum group, Japanese maples which have been cultivated in Japan for centuries and is a well-known temple tree and bonsai subject . They have appeared in art forms for centuries.
Palmatum (hand-like) was the name given by Swedish doctor-botanist Carl Peter Thunberg late in the 18th century, following the ancient Japanese where they were likened to hands of frogs or hands of babies.
The UK representative is the field maple, A. campestre, a medium-sized tree favouring chalk soils but widely planted. It is a wildlife plant attractive to aphids which are preyed on by ladybirds, hoverflies and birds. Caterpillars eat the leaves and the nectar and pollen in the flowers attract insects as well.
The wood has the highest density of all the European maples and is used for veneers and harps.
Deciduous - small, deeply lobed, pale green leaves 3-8cm (1¼-3in) long, opening brilliant pink, later turning green
Height - 1.2m (4ft)
Spread - 1m (3ft)
Medium shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height - slow-growing shrub. Winged fruits in autumn
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Full sun - shelter from cold winds and late frosts
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - aphids, mites, scale insects, caterpillars, Verticillium wilt, leaf scorch, honey fungus
Place of origin - China, Japan, Korea
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Seasonal Interest - Autumn -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil -
- Garden Cultivation
- Pests & Diseases
- Further Reading
- Scorching & Dieback - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
- How to plant/move a shrub
- How to plant/move a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fertisiling shrubs - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Mulching - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Taking semi-ripe cuttings -Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-sown seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Trimming a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video